Wednesday, November 07, 2007

hospital episode(s)





yeah. i don't even know how did my elbow get infected, but it did. suddenly i just couldn't straighten it. so i went to a physician who put me on antibiotics. great, i thought. here (in north america, i mean) they treat everything, even a cold, with antibiotics. so stupid of her. so stupid of me to have agreed. but over the last weekend my conditioned worsened and i was sent to the royal columbian hospital near sapperton skytrain station.

brrr! i realized i never have been to the hospital before. what a miserable place! so much pain, suffering and, worst of all, hopelessness all over peoples' facial expressions. i waited in queue for about 4 hours and then they let me in (mind it was an emergency waiting room). the doctor classified it as a bacterial infection of the soft tissue around the elbow. he called it bursitis or something similar and put me on iv (intravenous) therapy for a week.

yeap, i was getting my daily fix of antibiotics straight into the vain. and yeap, i was chilling around with a plastic tube in my vain. and yeap, i was waking up at 7.00 every morning (a habit i quite grew out of) to catch the bus to the hospital. and yeap, there were pending urgently deadlines i needed to meet. understandably, i'd like to forget about the last week.

right now i am still taking oral antibiotics but i am way better and the infection is almost gone. hurra! i can go for a run again...