Monday, November 20, 2006

solipsism

i rarely listen to what the philosophy prof says during the lectures. i rarely listen to her words as they are. my mind, rather, wonders around these words and ideas.

and so it did around searle's 'chinese room' thought experiment. and suddenly my brain was hit with an idea of solipsism.

'ouch'.

'ouch'

it was hit twice, actually.

and so i felt sort of obliged to put my thoughts down. on paper. on screen, i mean. i touch upon this extreme of skepticism, not because i believe it. no. or rather not yet.

do i allow such a possibility then? well. i must say i do. a tiny, little possibility that it is only my mind, which truly exists.

would it make my life simpler? clearer? happier? might do. but, again, not necessarily.

and it is still just a promile of a possibility. a promile.

but there is.