Monday, January 29, 2007

the response(s)

wow. i must say that i am truly amazed by the power and influence of media.

yes, i always knew it existed; i had read about it, i had seen many documentaries with noam chomsky and gore vidal etc. however (and those who know me are quite aware of this), i am quite an empirical bastard and i never fully believe until i try myself.

publishing an article in vancouver sun was a discovery of what sort of storm can such a small feature cause both on my blog and in my mailbox. i have got emails from my zero-years in flekke (apparently someone printed the article and put it up on the noticeboard!), couple of polish students at sfu, rotary club in burnaby, piotr lutynski (with congratulations), a girl who wishes to get into uwc and so on...

this incredible discovery can be only compared with my complete astonishment at the mechanism of the tides on the fjord in flekke. before coming to norway there was just pure tidal theory. there was my physical geography teacher talking about the tide and the moon and where they interact... but it never occured to me that within a day fjord can back up 10-20 meters!

anyhow. time to go to class. have a good day. :-)